Valerie Landau has a history of creating an extraordinary user experiences. She produced award-winning educational interactive projects, published books, and produced videos. She is a university professor and consults on user-centered design projects.
- Harvard University Graduate School of Education, Human Development & Psychology, emphasis in Technology Innovation & Education. Certificate of Advanced Study, 1995
- San Francisco State University, Department of Educational Technology, Master of Arts in Education, 1992
- University of California, Santa Cruz, Bachelor of Arts, History, 1979
The Engelbart Hypothesis:
Dialgos with Douglas Engelbart, NextPress, 2009
Developing an Effective Online Course by Valerie Landau. Published by McGraw-Hill, 2002. ISBN0072587024 Available on Amazon.
Flash 5: See It, Hear It, Do It A Flash tutorial by Valerie Landau, 2001. Available on Amazon
Educational Game Awards
Math Heads: Educational Game
- SPA Codie Award Nominee for Best Consumer Creativity Software 1996
- SPA Codie Award Best Education Program for Adolescents Math Heads 1997
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Platinum Award, 1996
- Family Channel, Seal of Quality, 1996
- MacWorld Top Pick Best Kid's CD-ROM to Buy for Christmas 1997
- Newsweek Editor's Choice Award 1997 indelibleNews!
- iN!-Ovation Award 1997
- Family Channel Seal of Quality 1997
Word Heads: Educational Game 1998
- Parents' Choice Gold Award Seal of Excellence
Video Awards and Festivals
Silicon Valley: Boomtown
- On permanent exhibition at the Smithsonian Institution
- 1st Prize PMN Video Competition, San Jose, 1987
- Honorable Mention, National Film and Video Festival 1988
- Film Arts Institute, Award for Local Program Excellence, 1988
Silicon Valley: Company Town
- 1st Prize PMN Video Competition, San Jose, 1986
Silicon Valley: Home Town
- 2nd Prize PMN Video Competition, San Jose, 1986
Back From Nicaragua
- Mill Valley Film and Videofest, 1986
- Aired on PBS Nationally, 1986
Educational Multimedia Design & Development
Director, Round World Media, Design and develop educational multimedia 1999-Present
Major accomplishments include:
- Interactive Presentation tools California Wine Institute
- Instructional Design and Development Developing an Effective Online Course for the California Virtual Campus
Published by McGraw-Hill. Available on Amazon.com
- Instructional Design and Development of See it, Hear it, Do it: Flash 5 an interactive tutorial. Available on Amazon.
- Modules for online statisics course for Community Colleges.
- Design and Development of the Syllabus Maker
- Instructional Design and formative evaluation and analysis for interactive video prototype ENHANCED ARTHUR for WGBH, Boston funded by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- Information Designer for PeopleSoft's Knowledge Broadcast, an interactive video online learning pilot
- Consultant, new program design California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Instructional Design and Strategic Planning for Kidport.com
- Developed multimedia for Britannica.com online Math initiative
- Instructional Design for Mattel's educational Barbie software initiative
- Market research for The Learning Company
- Developed multimedia modules for Prometheus Course Management System
- Developed pedagogical framework for HungryMinds.com
- Consultant on e-learning for StarMedia.com
Assistant Professor, California State University, Monterey Bay 2002-Present
School of Information Technology and Communication Design.
Sample Student Projects:
Supervisor of Instructional Development, DeAnza/Foothill Community College 2001-2002
Supervised Instructional Design projects including design, development and usability studies. Developed and taught Instructional Design Intensive.
Founder, Multimedia Studies Program, Ohlone College, 1997-2000. Developed an accredited degree program in Multimedia Studies. Taught courses in Multimedia, Web Design and Online Education. Supervised faculty, worked with advisory board, made presentations to Ohlone College Board of Directors, managed budget, computer labs and scheduling.Spinning Blocks refined from original experimentation with clickable spinning blocks
Sample student project:
Lecturer, San Francisco State University, Department of Instructional Technology and the Multimedia Studies Program 1996-2001
Educational Game Designer, Theatrix Interactive, 1995-1997
Design and develop and conduct usability studies for educational games for children. Developed concept document for Theatrix Web Site.
Consultant, SHORT STORIES AND TALL TALES, KQED, 1995
Content consultant for Emmy Award-winning TV program.
Instructional Designer and Project Manager, Creative Media Professionals 1991-1994
Developed and produced curriculum for video, print, and computer-based training.
Professor, Political Economy, Universidad Nacional Autonma de Nicaragua, 1979-1981
Director of Employee Education, International Airport, Managua, 1980-1981 Designed and managed employee education program for 250 workers.
Film and Video Production
Awaken, a film by Nicole Landau, 2002 Actress
TROPICANA, EL GENERAL, CUBA, ARD, German public Television, 1995, Field Guide
Paul McCartney's Latin American Tour documentary, 1993, Pre-production Producer
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FREEWAY, KQED, 1990, Associate Producer
60 MINUTES with Harry Reasoner, CBS, aired January 1989, Field Guide
THE UNCOMPROMISING REVOLUTION, VIL Films.1988, Field Guide
SILICON VALLEY Series & BACK FROM NICARAGUA, KTEH, 1983-1987, Producer
LATINO, a feature film released in 1984, LUCASFILMS. Actress, Segment Coordinator
Filed two patents with Dr. Douglas Engelbart, 2007, 2010
Conference Presentations and Publications
Collaborative Online Learning, California State University-India Education Initiative Roundtable. California State University, Long Beach, June 2, 2006. Valeire Landau
Augmenting the Collective IQ, Online Deliberation Conference 2005, Stanford University, May 2005. Valerie Landau
The Engelbart Hypothesis: augmenting human intellect, BCNET's Advanced Networks Conference: The Power of High Performance Computing, April 2005, Valerie Landau & Eileen Clegg.`
Implementing the Engelbart Hypothesis: Discussing the notion of augmenting human intellect, International Conference on Technology, Knowledge and Society, 2005 University of California, Berkeley, February 2005, Valerie Landau & Eileen Clegg.
Into the Future, Co-contributor with Eileen Clegg. Threshold; Exploring the Future of Education Journal. Summer 2004.
A Case Study of an Educational Networked Improvement Community. Landau, Valerie; Dinkelacker, Jamie; and Cooksey, Mary. Proceedings of the Fifteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia. Santa Cruz, CA. 2004.
The Educational Networked Improvment Community Experience, ACM Birds of a Feather HyperText SIG, Santa Cruz, CA 2004. Valerie Landau Video
CAP Goes to School: Exploring the Engelbart Hypothesis: Implementing the Engelbart Hypothesis (MERLOT) International Conference Online Resources: Sharing the Future Costa Mesa, California August 3 - 6, 2004. Published in the Conference Proceedings Online. Valerie Landau and mary Cooksey.
Dr. Engelbart’s Commemorative Speech, Producer of videotape at the 40th Anniversary of the founding of DARPA’s Information Technology Processing Office (IPTO) on November 11, 2004, Washington DC.
Educational Network Improvement Communities, BCNet’S 4TH Annual Advanced Network Conference, April 2004, Vancouver. Published in online conference proceedings. Valerie Landau
Multimedia Showcase, Presenter at the Macromedia Conference for National Software Retailer in January 2004.
Lessons learned from Application of the Engelbart Hypothesis, Next Now Conference, San Francisco, Atherton California, October 2004.
Showcase of Multimedia Learning Objects, Macromedia Conference on Education, 2002.
Developing Online Courses, Online Learning, Huntington Beach, 2001.
Teaching Online, Forth Annual Learning on the Internet Conference, Santa Rosa CA, April, 2000.
Convergence: Where the PC meets the TV, Distance Learning Consortium, Apple Computer, Nov, 1999.
How to Develop an Online Course, Tech Ed99, Ontario, CA, April 1999.
Convergence: Where PC meets TV, Distance Education Consortium, Fremont, April 1999.
How to Develop an Online Course, League for Innovation in Community College, Miami 1998.
Developing Instructional Multimedia for the Web, League for Innovation in Community College, Atlanta, 1997.
Creating Interactive Multimedia Learning Objects, Staff Development Day, Ohlone College, 1997, 1998, 1999.
Multimedia Showcase, Second Annual Harvard Multimedia Conference, 1995.
Multimedia Showcase, Women in Technology Conference, Harvard University, 1995.
Technology in Education Lecture Series, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 1995.
HyperText SIG of ACM
California Teachers Association
Community Service Awards
Phenomenal Woman Award, 2006
Online Pioneer Award, Ohlone College 2000
ROP, Business Leadership, 2001
State Certified Spanish Court Interpreter, 1982
State Certified Spanish Administrative Hearing Interpreter, 1982